This page is primarily dedicated to cataloging harassment directed at various GamerGate supporters by those who oppose GamerGate. Examples include death threats, doxing, among other forms of harassment. It is also used as a deflection argument: When rebuttals or criticism is levied, anti-GamerGate supporters often use 'harassment' as the reasoning behind the discrepancy or critique, when in reality, they did not directly respond to said criticism.
- 1 Concerns about harassment
- 2 Examples of Harassment
- 3 Non-Harassment
- 4 Opponents of GamerGate
- 5 See also
- 6 Sources
Concerns about harassment
Examples of Harassment
This is not an exhaustive, all-encompassing list of harassment against GamerGate supporters. However, said harassment is often overlooked and dismissed as unimportant, irrelevant, or deserved.
- Mike Cernovich was made aware of a SWATting attempt and had to inform the LA Police Department as a precaution
Milo Yiannopoulos (Nero)
- Milo was sent a "loaded" syringe in the mail
- Milo was sent something "something else horrible" in the mail
- Object in mail was a dead animal
King of Pol (KoP)
The following are examples of harassment of less-prominent Gamergate supporters.
- AlephXZero's internet service is surreptitiously canceled
- Brandon Morse blackmailed with dox
- Author Danielle Gieger is falsely reported to Amazon for plagiarism, has book royalties withheld
- ErikForeman receives email of home address, threats of physical violence against himself and family, advised by police to leave home
- GG+Fem is doxed, threats of sexualized violence and job security
- Andrew Blackpool is put on leave without pay, job security at risk
- Jared Bickey blackmailed with threats against family
- Randi Harper, creator of the GGAutoBlocker, tweets out picture of Facebook users that are members of a GamerGate Facebook group.
The creator of GGAutoBlocker who is currently receiving $2,500 a month from various Patreon supporters for "anti-harassment work" has also harassed and encouraged her followers to harass several individuals using her Twitter handle. A woman who identified as anti-GamerGate and engaged in discourse with GamerGate supporters via KotakuInAction was "literally crying" after Randi made a rape joke at her expense and encouraged her followers to join in. In another well-documented instance, a scientist who ran an analysis to vet the performance of Randi's blockbot left twitter after her followers threatened to physically harm his wife. This occurred after she spoke up against the harassment and threats made against her husband.
This section is for offensive tweets.
Ellie The Awesome
- To Gamergate supporter: "You slithered out on a stale stream of STD piss."
- "Fingers crossed Ebola mutates to singularly contaminate #GamerGate..."
- "...I'm going into insult overdrive tonight you bunch of cum dribbling social rejects."
- "I hope a new law passes so it's legal to spit in the faces of #GamerGate supporters. Not that I don't already..."
- Claims all GamerGate supporters are "retarded"
- "#GamerGate is just full of weak whining rejected man babies and fictional obedient submissive female accounts..."
Robert Caruso is an opinion writer for Business Inside, the Boston Globe, and the Latino Voices section of Huffington Post. The following tweets are from a conversation Caruso had with Partisangirl, a Syrian GamerGate supporter.
- Decries GamerGate as illegitimate, personal insults
- Describes GamerGate supporters as "subhuman"
- "I will enjoy your beloved Syria being torn apart with violence" (in reference to the Syrian Civil War)
- Thinks all GG supporters should be gassed
- Maintains his stance after Arthur Chu (@Arthur_effect) strongly disagrees with him
- Tait talks about turning the "final solution" into a game
- David Foster advocating for the castration of Gamergate supporters
- Telling a Gamergate supporter to commit suicide
- Advocating for the death of gamers, mocking Gamergate
- Advocating for the death and imprisonment of Gamergate supporters
- "GamerGate Harassment" on Tumblr, a collection of instances of SJWs attacking people for their opinions
Opponents of GamerGate
The opponents of GamerGate frequently complain about being harassed by GamerGate. Frequently without producing any evidence. Part of GamerGate's defence is that any harassment started before the hashtag was formed on August 27, 2014.
Anita Sarkeesian is Host and co-writer of Feminist Frequency. Her complaints about harassment pre-date the formation of #GamerGate in August 2014 by at least 2 years. For example the Wired article "Feminist Take on Games Draws Crude Ridicule, Massive Support" by Angela Watercutter was published in June 14, 2012 mentions 'negative comments'. See her webpage for further details.
Brianna Wu is co-founder of the game development studio Giant Spacekat whose game is Revolution 60. She claims that she has been forced to leave her house due to threats of violence. This has been proven false by users of chan boards showing that interviews conducted before she left her house and interviews done while she was in hiding were conducted in her home office. See photographs, and her webpage for further details.
Zoe Quinn is author of computer game Depression Quest and centre of the Zoe Quinn Scandal. Whilst raising money to finance the game she claimed to have received posts from two anonymous users that made sexist statements involving her on Wizardchan. This Twiter was on December 12, 2013 about 8 months before #GamerGate was created. Fredrick Brennan, the administrator of Wizardchan says IP logs show that Quinn herself was responsible for the alleged threats being posted. See her webpage for further details.
- "Feminist Take on Games Draws Crude Ridicule, Massive Support" by Angela Watercutter dated June 14, 2014 published in Wired 
-  "'If you have any kids they're dead too': Female game developer forced to flee her home after horrific 8chan rape and murder threats in latest sexism scandal plaguing industry" By Jill Reilly for MailOnline Published: 16:14, 12 October 2014 | Updated: 08:47, 15 October 2014. Retrieved March 29, 2015
-  "FUCK CENSORSHIP REPRINT: Did Brianna Wu Ever Leave Her Home in Mid-October? (UPDATE: Censors Come After TheRalphRetort)" dated December 17, 2014 The Ralph Retort. Retrieved March 29, 2015
- Zoe Quinn twitter - 12:40 PM 12 Dec 2013
- Brennan KYM interview - Oct 2014